From Osage County to Ocean County

From Osage County to Ocean County

Monday, October 17, 2011

You say Sneakers, I say Tennis shoes.....

I have loved the Jersey accent well before The Sopranos....I guess you can say I saw Clerks and it sorta intrigued me.   My Aunt Tina asked me if I've picked it up since I've been out here for 7 years...after thinking for a  moment I realized that I had!   I can turn on and off my Jersey Accent....as well as turn on and off my Okie Accent.   My favorite is when I call home and I hear all my friends and family have thick Okie Accents.   They don't think they do, but I can hear it!  hahaha!  

Not only have I picked up a new accent but I have also picked up the hand mannerisms.   I catch my hands wildly waving about when I tell a story or try to explain something.   Almost as if they have a mind of their own....How Crazy!!!

Also a few differences in wording.   Pop is called Soda, PURSES are called POCKETBOOKS, JEANS are called DUNGAREES, ICE CHESTS are called COOLERS, TENNIS SHOES are called SNEAKERS, RAdiators are pronounced RADiators.    There are more but these are the ones that stick with me the most.   
Look at these cute Ribbonwork Sneakers I found!

When I say tennis shoes, E is quickly to ask, "Are you playing tennis?" and then I quickly reply, "I don't plan on sneaking around!"    I wonder where sneakers got their name from....an old Spy Movie maybe???

Funny story.....One time E and I were driving, he was on the phone getting directions and he told me to write down this word 'Martinero'.    Hearing the word said aloud and also being Indian not Italian, I wrote down 'Martin Arrow'.   I had no clue that it was an Italian Name!   He looked down and died laughing...."Well you aren't in Oklahoma anymore!" 

Have a great week!   Remember to Hug and Cherish your loved ones!!!   


1 comment:

  1. hahaha i love the blogs! you should make a new blog and post old family stories when you think of them, just for me. cause hearing those is always awesome, and my mom doesn't tell enough. and having them on the internet would be cool for when giana/loren/makani are interested too
    -madeline :D

    ReplyDelete