From Osage County to Ocean County

From Osage County to Ocean County

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crock Pot Apple Butter in DA HOUSE!!!

It's that time of year again...time to go Apple Picking!!!   Well G (my daughter) and I got soooo many apples that I was trying to find recipes to go with them all.  

 Okay time for a backstory......When I was growing up my Mother Gloria was a true Indian woman.  She would can and preserve everything from tomatoes, okra, peaches, pickles, dry her own corn, beets, jams, jellies and my absolute favorite APPLE BUTTER!!!   Oh how I loved her apple butter, it was like heaven on toast!  Since I live here in New Jersey we drive over to Lancaster, PA every once in a while and buy certain delicious things from the Amish women there.   Apple Butter is always on my list!  

Okay, now since you know my love of Apple Butter, I decided I'll make some.  It can't be THAT hard, so I found this a-m-a-z-i-n-g recipe for it.    It's cooked all night in a crock pot....I love anything that is cooked in a crock pot!   I gathered all my ingrediants and made a quick dash out to Wally World for jelly jars.   

Peeled, cored and sliced a little over 3 lbs. of apples

Approximately 3 lb. apples
3 cups sugar
(I used 1.5 c of organic sugar and 1.5 c of Nuvella)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water or fresh apple cider
(I used apple cider)
 
Mix well and make sure evenly coated.
Cover and Cook overnight on LOW
*Enjoy how lovely your house will smell*
 (G woke up extra early to see how the apples turned out.)
The mixture was a bit liquidy and the apples were super soft.  As soon as I started stirring them they started breaking up.
 
My Sister told me it looked like chili, but I don't think so.  To me it looks like deliciousness!!!
 
So I took the lid off (remember it was liquidy) and changed the setting to HIGH.  Let it cook for a few more hours LID OFF. (Remember to Stir Often to prevent scorching)
 
Before I knew it the APPLE BUTTER had thickened up and was ready to be canned!!  Yay!!!
 
Followed the instructions on how to sterilize the jelly jars.
 
I filled the hot Apple Butter into warm jars and canned using the Water Bath method.
 
 
I feel that I have offically accomplished canning...bring on the Apocalypse!!!
 
For the official instructions I posted the link above.  
Enjoy!!!
 
 

1 comment: