From Osage County to Ocean County

From Osage County to Ocean County

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Don't Hate, make Wacky Cake......

When I think of elementary cafeteria food my mind always goes to Wacky Cake!   In a small town our daily lunch was homecooked, those ladies would make the best rolls, cinnamon rolls, and wacky cake!   (I wonder if they still serve that beloved chocolate cake??)   It was a chocolate cake with just a hint of cinnamon.....talk about YUMMY!!! 

For years and years I looked for the Wacky Cake recipe on the internet and just recently I found it!!  Yay Me!!! I even went as far as buying my perfect Wacky Cake Pan a year ago because I knew I was going to get this recipe.   

So here we go!    Of course I tweaked it a bit to fit my family's needs....meaning, gluten-free!!!

I doubled the recipe in order to fit my Wacky Cake pan but here is the original recipe. 


Wacky Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 c. sifted all purpose flour
(I used Gluten free All Purpose Flour)
1 c. Sugar
(I used 1/2  c. of Nevella and organic sugar)
3 Tbsp. Cocoa
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
A good dash of Cinnamon
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. Oil (Canola or Vegetable)
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 c. Cold Water

Sift Dry ingredients-es (As Theresa from NJ Housewives would say) into ungreased 9 Inch Pan.   Make 3 holes in flour.   Measure oil into first hole, Measure Vinegar in second, Vanilla into the last hole.   Pour Cold Water over all.   Mix until blended (DO NOT BEAT).   Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins.    More towards the 25 mins. zone.   I like mine more brownie like. 

Now let's talk FROSTING!!!
I ran out of Cocoa powder (oh NO!) but luckily I had Baker's Chocolate Squares

3 Tbsp. Butter softened
1 1/3 c. confectioner's sugar
1/3 c. Cocoa 
Dash of Cinnamon 
1/6 c. Milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Beat well and put over cake in pan while slightly warm


I next added rows of Pecans!   

Look at this deliciousness!!!  

E loved it as much as I did! 
With every bite it took me back to my childhood....I was ready to go play 2 square or Kick to the Crowd!!!!

Since I used Gluten-Free Flour I also had to use 1/2 tsp (per cup of flour) of Xanthan Gum.   It helps thicken the flour when baking.  

So my Wacky Cake turned out semi-healthy, but the frosting blew the healthy part out of the water!!!    Maybe I'll name it my Even Steven Cake!!!


If you have a recipe you'd like me to try, please post it in the comments.   I'll try it and post about it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds & looks delicious! By the way, your old cafeteria still serves wacky cake! My girls love it!

    ReplyDelete