From Osage County to Ocean County

From Osage County to Ocean County

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chill out and enjoy some Chili.....

Since I've become a "Wifey" one of my favorite things to do is find easy recipes to cook.  I have learned from my Mother that a good wife always keeps certain canned items in your cupboards....Tomato Sauce is probably #1 and Cream of Mushroom is #2.    So I've taken it one step further and always keep a few cans of Pinto Beans or Black Beans (My Dad never like Kidney Beans so I guess that rubbed off on me and I don't like them either).  
I remember being a kid and wanting to be a HOBO...true story....I found a stick, had my Dad tie a big red handkerchief to the end and walked around the neighborhood for hours!!!   My Parents got a few phone calls from the neighbors wanting to know if I was running away....My Parents just simply replied, "Nope, she's just being a Hobo."    I secretly envisioned myself walking around on railroad tracks and eating beans out of a can.   I was definitely ONE OF A KIND.  Imagination at it finest!
Well one day cruisin' through the FOOD STORE aisles I saw a box of Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup and Dip Mix.   I love the regular Onion Soup mix, so I decided to try the BEEFY ONION.  Being from Oklahoma, raised on Beef, we realize that beef only makes every dinner BETTER!    So I grabbed the box and looked at the back to see all the recipes and saw one for Fast 'N Easy Chili!   It was the three words that sealed the deal for me...SLOW COOKER ADAPTABLE.   Not only that but I already had all the ingredients at home!  Beef, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, Beans...check, check,check, check, check.   Perfect!!!

Chili is the best meal for cold dreary days, plus there are so many combinations for Chili.    Chili Dogs, Frito Chili Pies, Chili with cornbread, Chili and Rice, Chili with Oyster Crackers, Nachos, Indian Tacos, Okay Okay you get the idea.....I wonder if Forest Gump had a friend who like Chili???  

Fast 'N Easy Chili

SERVES: 6 PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 25 minutes

INGREDIENTS

  • 1-1/2lbs. ground beef
  • 1envelope Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Beefy Onion Soup Mix
  • 1can (15 to 19 oz.) red kidney Pinto or black beans, drained
  • 1-1/2cups water
  • 1can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 4tsp. chili powder*
  • 1 tsp. of Ground Cumin
DIRECTIONS:
In 12-inch skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat; drain.2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
*Variation: Add chili powder at your own risk!
I doubled the recipe b/c I don't mind making Chili Dogs the next day.     I placed everything in the Crock Pot, Cranked it up to HIGH and SET IT AND FORGET IT!     Throughout the day I would come by, give it a quick stir and go about my day.    I let it cook for 6 HOURS or so and after G's Swim TA-DA!!!   Dinner was ready!!!
We ate it Frito Pie style with crunched up Tortilla Chips, Cheddar Cheese, a squirt of ketchup and a squirt of mustard.  It was by far better than the regular Chili Mix you can buy in the packets!   


The only thing that would've made it better was if I had a glass of Strawberry Pop!!!


As for being a Hobo...things have definitely changed, I really enjoy sleeping in my comfy bed!!!


1 comment:

  1. Girl, you make me laugh! I love the Forrest Gump remark! Great job & I'm definitely trying the recipe!

    ReplyDelete