From Osage County to Ocean County

From Osage County to Ocean County

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

LimonCELLO!!!


Ever since I saw the episode of Danny DeVito acting CrAzY on The View I've always wanted to try Limoncello..... I mean if it has Danny DeVito passed out in his Limo then by all means I wouldn't mind trying it!  So I finally bought a bottle and it was great!   It reminded me of a Lemon Drop Martini, and I LOVE Lemon Drop Martinis!!! (Lemon Drop Martinis are one of Oprah's favorites too...just a little FYI)    

After I brought it home I showed E and his friends (b/c they were over watching a Giants Football game and after every touchdown it would be Limoncello shots for everybody!!!   So it stuck (at least for this season)

So I Googled "Limoncello recipes" and the first one that popped up was Giada DeLaurentis' recipe.   She has to know what she's talking about b/c she's on the Food Network after all!!!   The recipe looked easy enough it was basically Vodka, Lemons (Lots of Lemons) water, sugar and TIME.    And to my surprise I was able to easily obtain all 4....Yay Me!!!  
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/limoncello-recipe/index.html

So here we go......
Stage #1 and we have to wait 4 days!





LIMONCELLO

Ingredients

  • 10 lemons
  • 1 (750-ml) bottle vodka
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar

Directions

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.

Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.


I plan on bottling it up and giving it as gifts along with Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and Peanut Butter and M&m Cookies!!!    

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog girl! Your drink looks yummy...looks like I'm going to the store tomorrow! Lol!

    ReplyDelete